Top 5 healthy Christmas meals and dishes
For most people, Christmas is a time for indulging in rich, high fat, sugar-laden delights! Mince pies, chocolate, Christmas pudding, sausages rolls, roast potatoes and fizzy drinks or alcohol are consumed in abundance. Here are a couple of healthy festive dishes to help ease the burden on your waistline.
- Turkey or chicken with boiled potatoes, Brussels, peas, carrots, parsnips, gravy, cranberry sauce
- Smoked salmon with poached eggs on seeded toast / rye bread
- Poached pears. In a saucepan, add 4 cups of fresh orange juice, 4 cups of water, 1 thumb size piece of ginger, 1 cinnamon stick and zest from one orange. Peal and core 4 pears and place in the saucepan making sure they are totally covered. Simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes until soft. Serve with low-fat Greek yoghurt.
- Turkey sandwiches on seeded bread – use cranberry sauce rather than butter to save on the calories.
- Cranberry chicken salad. Fry off an onion, add leftover chicken or turkey and heat through. Add to leaves and cucumber. Mix cranberry sauce, lime juice, 2 tbsp water and drizzle over the salad.